My 26.2 Mile Races:
Photo by Stew Whisenant
Running Journal of Ray Christensen
Running has become my passion, since I began in 2002.
I hope this site can be motivational for anyone who visits. Email me with questions or comments.
My race highlights:
May 2013: 23rd marathon was rainy, windy & cold in Vermont, where Mom came to watch!
Sept 2010: Rock'n'Roll Half Marathon in Va. Beach (with some Rebel Runners buddies.
April 2009: Joined elite athletes to run the Boston Marathon, placing in top
30% of age group.
January 2009: Survived the Goofy Challenge at Disneyworld.
May 2008: 3:13:12 personal record at New Jersey Marathon in my 12th 26.2 mile race!
2nd place in age group!
Please invite your friends to visit my site. Hydrate properly, run facing traffic and stretch after
workouts. Happy running!
Why I Became a Runner
Philly Distance Run:
My initial reasons for participating in Joints in Motion Training Team:
- Challenge to see how fit I can be at age 39+1
- Focus to set a goal for the year
- Team to be part of a close-knit group
- Athlete to participate in an organized sport
- Charity to help a worthy cause financially/inspirationally
- Family to make this effort in honor of my father
- Social to meet new people with a common interest
- Event to participate in a major running event
- Travel to visit someplace new with friends
- Convenient main training area is my "home track"
- Self-Esteem to accomplish something special
Running for a Cause: The Adventure Begins
In 2002, I turned 40 and noticed an article in a local newsletter to "train for a marathon in Dublin".
I had never jogged more
than 3 miles, but the offer included a coach and teammates to run with. It helped that the Arthritis Foundation
"Joints in Motion" coach was an attractive lady and that we'd do training runs at a park near my home! In exchange for
over $3,000 of fundraising, the trip to Ireland, gear and parties would be included.
I ran in honor of my father, who was having a shoulder replacement due to severe arthritis. Never having been involved in
organized athletics (including high school sports teams or even little league baseball), I was excited to be a real
athlete and have the comradery of teammates.
...Ray's 2002 training log
My Arthritis Foundation race singlet honors Dad
"We are different, in essence, from other men. If you want to win something, run 100 meters.
If you want to experience something, run a marathon."